Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009



Microsoft Xbox 360 Wired Controller

I have always wonder if I can get my Xbox 360 wired controller to work on a PC.  It has a USB connection and I thought that Windows will recognize it.  I tried connecting the controller and Windows XP SP3 was able to recognized it but did not load the proper drivers.  I decided to search online and I found a few sites that offer some support but the instructions were confusing and the drivers were not available.  I have to dig and dig through Microsoft's website in order to find a good link with the right drivers.

After downloading the software and installing it, the controller was recognized beautifully and it works perfectly.  Some may wonder, why do I need to do that?  Well, I can tell you that downloading a small software package can save you $20 from buying a gaming pad for your computer.  For me, I either had to get it to work or buy an Microsoft Gaming Pad in order to play the new Madagascar game with my son.  For some reason, the game only works with the Xbox 360 Windows controller and did not work with my Logitech Dual Action gamepad.  Weird?!? I think not.  I searched Activision Gaming Division to see if it was a bug or some sort of update that will make my Logitech gamepad to work, and it said pretty clear that will only work with an Xbox gaming pad.  I am sure that there is a business reason why the developers did this.  Anyhow, here is the link for you to have it working on your PC:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=Gaming

If you do not use it to play games, you can always use it to troubleshoot your gamepad when it does not work on your Xbox 360.  Windows has a nice calibration setting that lets you test every button to see if it works correctly.  Give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment